Thursday, October 18, 2007

Not Impressed Mother Nature

A little known fact is that Missourians invented storm watching. Who else? It's the ultimate sign of disrespect to Mother Nature. I remember being a kid and the Tornado Warning was flashing on the TV, the horn was going crazy outside but rather than hiding in the basement, my family had the garage door open and a set of lawn chairs, if I had been old enough, there would have been drinks involved as well.

A Missourian is never surprised by weather or enthralled with it's "beauty." We've seen it all. Extreme cold, Extreme heat, ice storms, blizzards, floods, tornados, droughts... Missouri is the culmination of all the worst things that can be thrown at a people. And we're still not impressed.

In fact, the most powerful earthquake to strike the United States occurred in 1811, centered in New Madrid, Missouri. The quake shook more than one million square miles, and was felt as far as 1,000 miles away. According to legend, citizens of Arkansas, Kansas, and Tennesse heard Missourians mocking mother nature by yelling "Is that the best you got?"

I'm pretty sure if a nuclear bomb went off somewhere near, I would watch it from my garage, hell, I'm going to die anyway.

No comments: