Monday, October 29, 2007

Roadhouse, Great American Movie

I've always had a lot of respect for Patrick Swayze, and I'd say it stems from my love of the movie Roadhouse. For those of you who don't know, Roadhouse takes place in a small Missouri town with a rowdy bar. They have to bring in a big shot bouncer to clean things up and turn it into a respectable place. This movie bleeds Missouri, let's get to the highlights:

1. Sam Elliot co-stars, movies with him are instantly tougher and more grizzly. Not to mention him constantly referring to Pat Swayze as "me-ho"

2. The bar is in a town being ruled by a single rich man who hires a bunch of red necks. Lawless.

3. In the final scene there are like 15 murders. 15 people die, get shot, kicked, karate chopped, etc... but when the cops arrive everyone plays dumb and has a big ol' laugh about it. Granted murder doesn't mean much in Missouri, but you would think that the cops would care when a single man takes the lives of half a town, but nope, just Missourians being rambuncious.

In fact, it's expected. When Missourians have a good time someone will probably die or get really hurt. It's just how we are. I actually think I grew up near where Roadhouse took place, had I been old enough I could have gone to that bar. I would have made it a point to throw up in a corner somewhere in hopes that Pat would see me and kick me out.

(Please note, as I began writing this post I realized I actually didn't have that much to say about Roadhouse, I just wanted to bring up the fact that Pat murders a ton of people at the end and gets away with it, even though he's covered in blood)

No comments: